Saturday 20 November 2010

A little charity brings Akenhead to PPT London

The PPT blog leapt at the chance to talk poker with 2009 November Niner James Akenhead at the first break, and he revealed a little charity brought him to the Fox Poker Club this afternoon.

Even in a room seating WSOP bracelet winners like Willie Tann and Scott Shelley, Akenhead (pictured) was the face most people recognised as he casually strolled up to register for our medium-stakes tournament.

But as well as the chance to play poker in the city he loves, the London-born player revealed his appearance was as much to do with returning an act of kindness.

"I haven't played that much recently since coming back from South Africa, but my friend Paul runs this place and he asked me to come," revealed the 27-year-old pro, "He helped me out with a charity event I ran recently, supplying a few dealers and some equipment, so I said I'd play in one of the events here."

Inevitably WSOP success has led to a lot more travelling for the sponsored pro, but he was delighted to back in a home cardroom.

"I really like this place but I haven't played here very often - in fact I never really get much chance to play in London anymore. I've got some time to do that before Christmas but it's off to Australia after that.

"It's different coming back to play in London because I know everyone, but it feels good. I love London and when I'm away I can't wait to get back because I don't like travelling as much as I do to be honest.

"Next year I'll stay a bit more focused on playing online because I've just bought a new place and I'm doing it up at the moment."

So far the poker gods have had mixed fortunes in store for the Hit Squad member, but he was back on track courtesy of a few big pots before the break.

"I've been up to 15k, back down to 5k and then back to the 10k starting stack so it's been up and down so far," he explained.

"There was a big hand when I lost a lot of chips when I raised with pocket fours and it came A-4-5 with two diamonds and the guy had 2♦3♦.

"Luckily I checked the flop behind, bet-call on the turn and the river came a six and he checked it, which was a bit of a strange play but I still lost 3/4 of my stack in that hand.

"Some guys just never believe I have anything but my game hasn't changed so much that they need to be doing things like that - but it's good for me I guess!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive