Sunday 12 September 2010

Beware the short stacks!

ParadisePoker pro Carlos Oliveira is feeling wary of the short stacks as we enter Day Two, despite sitting some 20,000 chips ahead of the average.

The Portuguese admitted things hadn't gone quite as smoothly as they appeared when looking back at an ultimately successful day one, and he was keen to find the right spots before pressing home his chip advantage.

"Day one was hard, even though I doubled up quite early," he explained, "I had some setbacks like AK vs KK, AK vs 7s when I hit the King, only for the 7 to come on the turn.

"I was even down to six bbs when the blinds were at 400/800, but I doubled up a few times and two minutes from the end I picked up Jacks and took out a short stack holding AJ. It held up and took me to around 69,000.

"I feel good but it's still quite close," he added, "Most of the short stacks have around 30,000 so if I lose to them, I lose half my chips. It means there's still a long way to go to reach the final table.

"If most of them had more like 10-20k, then it wouldn't be too bad, but with the stacks on my table I could risk losing a lot of chips and falling below the average. On the other hand if I knock one of them out, I can reach 100,000 or above and then I can put pressure on them.

"For now I'll stick to my game, wait for the right hands because I don't want to lose so many chips with a bad hand. I have to stay focused and try to accumulate chips in the right situations."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive