Friday 25 June 2010

The first break arrives… along with the big names

Suddenly the room is full of pros as we reach the first break, with the likes of Antonio Esfandiari, James Akenhead, John Juanda and Bertrand ‘ElkY’ Grospellier all in the game.

Paradise Poker’s very own Didier Erb (pictured) was seated next to Tom ‘Durrrr’ Dwan at one stage, giving him a tough welcome to the WSOP, but he looked happy to be mixing it with the internationally revered player in this shot.

In fact, our Frenchman not only took a pot off Dwan, but also discovered his first online poker site was Paradise!

“I saw the Full Tilt logo first and thought I recognised him, so when I realised who it was, I was a little scared!” smiled Didier.

“It was a little stressful but he’s a poker player, so he’s just a human, not a machine. Still, whenever you see someone who plays high stakes poker you have to have respect for them.

“It’s possible to beat him and I proved that when I won that pot against him with AQ, but I was still glad he folded because he can play any hand, any way.”

Dwan has since been moved to another table, giving our man some respite, and Didier has taken advantage by nearly trebling his starting stack.

“At the break I have around 11,000 chips, so I think I am the table chipleader after I won a big pot.

“It was limped round to me and I completed in the small blind with JQ,” he explained, “The flop came 8-9-10 and I checked, there was a bet and call and pushed all-in as there was a flush draw on board.

“I was called by J7 – a smaller straight – just before the break and that’s put me in a good position, so we will see.”

Other news on the Paradise Team was less positive for last year’s WSOP Main Event representative Jeff Cuccurullo, who was knocked out when his AK ran into Aces pre-flop.

The same fate awaited Hungarian duo Zoltan Kapitany (pictured) and Gyorgy Zentai, who both depart within the early levels.

Sponsored Paradise player Carlos “Cmpjo” Oliveira was also unfortunate as his pocket Jacks were cracked by some loose play from his opponent.

“I raised pre-flop with Jacks and only the big blind called. The flop came 8-5-2 and he bet into me, so I raised and he called with nothing.

“He had K-10 and hit his king on the turn, we both checked and he spiked two pair on the river as well. It was strange play and it means I’m down to just 1,500 chips, so I have to go for it already.”

Experienced Swedish player Tommy Ahmedof, who had promised to go deep in this tournament before the first deal, sensed a missed opportunity after some fast action forced him to fold on a near dream flop.

“I was in a hand with KQ of spades and the flop came K high with two spades, but there was a bet and all-in in front of me, so I decided to fold and it turned out both players had a set.

“It was the correct decision but I would have made my flush and trebled through, so I’m sitting on a starting stack when I could have been on 15,000!

“It’s frustrating, especially as my table has got some good players on it, but I’m just playing my game and checking the table out.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive